Saturday, August 6, 2011

Wolcott's In America

        Henry, son of John Wolcott, of Tolland, Somersetshire, England, was one of the first of the family to come to America during the reign of Charles I. He was the ancestor of the family in America.  He was one of the nineteen men mentioned in the Connecticut charter.   He brought his wife and 3 sons leaving behind 2 daughters with an older son.  He settled at Nantucket, Mass., in 1630 with his wife, Elizabeth Saunders, whom he had married in 1606, and there enrolled on the first list of 24 "freemen" of Boston.  About 1635, he moved his family to Windsor, Conn., and helped to establish the Connecticut Colony.  Henry Wolcott and the Reverend Mr. Warham were the founders of the First Church of Windsor.  Henry was also an original member of the General Court of both Massachusetts and the Connecticut Colonies.  He was a member of the 1st General Assembly of CT, 1637-1643.  He was one of the nineteen men mentioned in the Connecticut Charter.  The names of his children were John, Henry, George, Christopher, Anne, Mary, and Simon.  There may have been others, but there is no definite trace of them.
Henry Wolcott (the emigrant) was baptized on December 6, 1578, and later he conveyed the manor house to his son Henry.  The final "T" was not added until Henry removed to America.

1 comment:

Horace E. Walcott said...

We should not forget Dr. D. Walcott, the famous poet and Nobel Prize Winner.
There is also Dr. Roger Sperry Walcott, neuroscientist and Nobel Prize Winne in Physiology and Medicine.
I must mention my own family. Most of us immigrated to the USA in the spring of 1990.
My mother, a housewife and shop keeper bore nine of us; three are doctors, one is an engineer, one is a teacher, three are nurses and one a counselor.
I first came to the USA in 1977 on the Guyana Scholarship for veterinary studies, completed an internship and post-doctoral research. In 1986, I returned to Guyana and worked as a veterinary officer until 1990.
My eldest sister is a midwife in Great Britain. My eldest brother is a professor and psychlinguist in Canada. My elder brother is a physician and pathologist. I am a physician-scientist with specializations in toxicology, zoological medicine, biophysics, and psychophysiology. As a graduate student at Tulane University School of Public Health and tropical Medicine, I co-developed a bioassay for the detection of sub-lethal, low dose carcinogens in water. My major professor was Dr. William R. Hartley and his co-investigator was Dr. Thiagaraja. I am also the co-inventor a a drone solar hydrogen electric water sampling boat and an amphibious tranquilizing dart rifle. My brother William has authored many books.