Sunday, August 7, 2011

Finding My Family

       It is always a question of where to begin when a person gets ready to put together their family history.  I am no different.  Where do I begin?  My Grandmother, Luella Evelyn Wolcott Collar had among her things, a beginning.  When I found the Wolcott family tree I was thrilled, for here was a very complete outline of my family, on the Wolcott side, back to the 1500's and up through my mother and father into 1935. This family tree was typed on stationary from The Boot Shop in Billings, Montana, with a note handwritten that says "Owned by Uncle Linus Shelton Wolcott".  This Linus Wolcott was my grandmother's brother. 
In the 1980's, I proceeded to add as much family history as I knew and have been adding to it ever since. 
Among my Grandmother's papers was a letter from a group called the Descendants of Henry Wolcott dated March 17, 1938 written to Evelyn Wolcott Collar.  The purpose for the letter was to inform her she was eligible to belong to the D.A.R.  There was an empty envelope addressed to Mrs. Mildred Chapman from L. S. Wolcott.
        We have all learned the immensity of the Internet and the information that can be found on this vast Information Highway. I started searching for the Wolcott name and it was not long before I had made contact with distant relatives that directed me to the Society of the Descendants of Henry Wolcott.  I filled out my membership form on 12/9/1999 and joined with a lifetime membership.
         A favorite pastime of genealogists is to visit ancestral homes; walking the same ground as one's fore bearers adds a sense of reality to the persons known only through records.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynn, I am a relative of yours. I actually have photos of Evelyn- pretty ones I might had. In lovely hats. Also have Linus and Evelyn baby pictures. My brother Mike FAC 111 was lucky enough ti meet " Uncle Linus" on strip to Billings with his grandmother Helen Wolcott.V. My mother kept in touch with the Wolcotts and I believe Frank came to Levenworth for Officers school. I think I have figured out the family tree as my mother did some of the work and a friend of mine helped me on the rest. Now I see you have it in very nice story form. It would be nice to talk with you. I have photos I can't identify.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for all the errors but the type was minute and I couldn't see what I was typing. I have J.A.'s civil war belt, and a ring from m.k. Simp. I do not like to type much in public so maybe we can find a way to exchange numbers. Your Evelyn was the prettiest of the lot. Did she go by Aunt Lila by any chance because Aunt Lila came here to go to Unity church? All the best Lynn and thanks for the in depth research you have done. CCS

Lynne said...

Hi Jill,
Didn't hear back from you, so thought I would try again. Yes Evelyn was beautiful. You must be a close relative because you know so much about Evelyn’s family. I remember the name Aunt Lila but am not sure when she might have seen her last. Evelyn passed away in 1964. Where is the Unity Church you mentioned that Aunt Lila went to. I bet you relish having the civil war belt and the ring from Mary K. Simpkinson. I would like to talk to you. Would e-mail be difficult or would you like to talk on the phone?